Saturday 4 January 2014

Why we should encrypt ALL email.

So I thought I'd try to encourage some encrypted email. I only had one exchange last year with another equally geeky person. We didn't say much that was really private but it was an interesting experiment. Sometimes though it's nice to think that my message will only get to the person intended and couldn't be read by anyone else.
"there are also people who really need privacy in their communication. Think of e.g. peaceful activists who might be spied on by governments to make their lives more difficult. By protecting all mail, it makes it more difficult for governments to identify and harass people who actually do need the protection." source: https://whyencryptemail.net/ (my emphasis)
I've therefore set up a contact page with public keys for my personal and work emails and will see how many encrypted messages I get.

The software for OpenPGP is much better than it was a few years ago. There are plenty to choose from. Browser-based (i.e. using javascript to encrypt or decrypt your messages never writing to the hard disk) such as mailvelope can be used on multiple platforms; but haven't found a free one yet for my iPad or Android phone though. Any suggestions welcome.

1 comment:

  1. And don't forget to backup your keys - especially your private key :)

    ReplyDelete